I don’t know how long ago I purchased this kit. It was started “way back when” but I didn’t finish it until earlier this year. It was originally intended for Dad but wasn’t finished before he moved out of his house. I set it aside and lost interest in it. But joining some Facebook cross stitch groups got me stitching again and I finished it up.

This will be gifted to a friend in the Lower Mainland; Pat will take it to her when he goes down to do some consulting work in January. Heather has worked for many years with the Glorious Organics Co-op as well as with Farm Folk City Folk. And yes kids, Heather is the one who put the flowers in her salads! There is no one more suited to this than Heather.

 

 

I got my Canada 150 project back from the framer today.

I first saw the pattern on one of the cross stitch Facebook groups I belong to. It was surprising how quickly it went together. With only one colour of thread, and very little backstitching, it was done several months before I managed to get it in for framing.

We don’t have much wall space for hanging anything at the house but I may be able to find a spot in the studio for it.

 

Maple Leaf from Alessandra Adelaide Needleworks.

 

Today, in one of my Facebook groups, someone asked me the name of the pattern. I immediately came to my web page to see what it was and couldn’t find a posting for it anywhere. So this is a catch-up posting.

This still needs to be framed, but I hope to get that done before the summer is over.

 

 

June 12, 2017

Finished: 6 ½” x 4 ¼”

I like to pick a fish-related pattern for Ray as he has some beautiful saltwater tanks in their home. I couldn’t find a quilt block that worked with that theme, nor could I find a small cross stitch. Instead I picked a nautical theme. Ray is an exceptionally hard worker and he is seldom idle. One of my best memories of the time he spent in Powell River was him walking the beach and finding and sharing shells with the kids.

Once the cross stitch was finished I had to come up with a way to make the piece into a card. I trimmed the cross-stitch and then added a few more stitches so the water line would come right to the binding. I spray-basted the cross stitch to the batting and then used a honeycomb stitch to quilt the two pieces together. I used a piece of fabric and fusible interfacing to attach the backing to the sandwich. I’ll definitely use that method again!

 

 

January 18, 2017

Will

 

Since the Thomas’s will be heading to Disneyland later this winter I wanted to make something Disney-ish as a card. I had lots of Disney Princess patterns but I had to pull this Pinocchio pattern from a Christmas in Disneyland booklet. It was the least Christmassy pattern I could find (and I left half of it off).